Sunday, August 31, 2008

Consistency

"Steadiness. You can count on it. When pain or hardship bites, consistency doesn't bleed. When the majority is tired and irritable, consistency is stable and resilient. Not insensitive, boring...but reliable, faithful. Not opposed to change or reason, but trustworthy. Not stubborn, but solid. Yes, that's it: solid.

One of the most attractive, magnetic characteristics of Christ is His consistency. When you need Him, He is there. He's there even when you don't think you need Him! You're never too early or too late. He's never in a lousy mood nor will He ask you to call back during office hours. He's available....because He's immutable. With Him, there's no new year or old year. He is "the same," regardless.
CONSISTENCY." --Charles Swindoll, Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life


Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. --Hebrews 13:8

I like this...a lot. It's exactly what I needed to hear, especially at this exact moment and time in my life. Brand new transition. New environment. New place. New friends. New everything, it feels like. A lot has changed...but when I went to go write and read and spend time with Jesus today, I realized that this was one thing that hadn't changed. My relationship with Jesus hasn't gone away, and the bible I was reading was still the same as it always had been. I know that sounds silly, but it was comforting in a great way. I love everything here and about Houghton so far, but change can sometimes be overwhelming and tiring, especially when there's a lot of it. I took a nap today because I was just so exhausted from the past few days and when I woke up I started reading this book and the bible and it was so refreshing. Not only did the nap re-energize me, but so did these words.

Another thought...God's creation is amazing. Although that is always changing, whenever a beautiful day comes around, it never goes unnoticed. It puts me in such a great mood. And the campus up here helps me to enjoy it all the more. God has really set me in my place to get started in this thing called "college". Yeah its weird being away from all my friends, but I know that God has placed me here to challenge others, be challenged by others, and to reflect and overflow God's love into my relationships here, the classes I will be apart of, and all around campus. And you know what? I have never felt more ready and prepared in my life. I have this unbelievable peace inside of me. I can't even believe it's here, and I'm starting classes tomorrow, but I know that I can do this. God has completely prepared me in every way to live for Him here at Houghton.


Take me, Lord, all of me, and use me to make a difference, whatever that may be, all for your glory.

3 comments:

Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel said...

I will pray for your transition! Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog. I hope I can meet you too when you come back to church during a college break. Yesterday I was remembering the time when I heard you speak on stage about the student life group you were a part of, and I remember thinking, "I hope our daughter grows up to be like her." :)

Jessica said...

i love you kelsey. thank you for those words and encouragement. and it was nice talking with you the other night. it's good to hear that you love everything there.

love you lots, my dear.

Kathi Roach said...

Kelsey, you are one of the wisest young ladies I've ever had the honor of knowing. Your words are beautiful. Enjoy this time. You are in my prayers.