Monday, April 7, 2008

Heartbreaking, yet Humbling

I walked into school this morning, expecting the worst. The very first thing I noticed as I walked through the doors was...the silence. It's amazing to me how silence is ever-so present at a time like this. No one really knows what to say, or how to respond. Today was...hard, to say the least. As I walked through the quiet halls this morning I watched as her friends hung posters up with tears in their eyes. I saw unison among her softball team as they all wore wrist bands with Emily's #1 on them. It's so beautiful to see the togetherness and friendship because it's not cherished enough, but so hard to see the brokenness and pain that caused the bond. Today was one of those days where I felt completely helpless and upset that I never got the chance to be a peer-facilitator for our school. But I know that hugs can facilitate much better than words, and you don't need training for that. I was heartbroken for so many people today. I don't know what to say. I just know it's going to be a hard week for a lot of people. As overwhelming as it was, somehow it was completely humbling to sit at lunch today next to the spot where Emily used to sit. Another reminder that life is short, but in Jesus we have eternal life in heaven. It's hard for me to understand and imagine how a lot of people are going through this without Jesus. I can't imagine their feelings.

Keep the Burke family in your prayers. Pray for peace and a connection that they may have with God through this whole thing. Pray for God's love and peace over the Calderone family as well. Lift up the precious and broken hearts of Emily's friends in my school. Please pray for Aly Hird too, who is in serious condition now. And lift up Paul Burke as he deals with this pain and guilt he must be feeling and will continue to feel for a long time.

I am planning on going to the prayer service they're holding tonight at St. Joe's Catholic Church. I know this will be a time when a lot of people need comforting, and I want to be there. I'm praying that God would be evidently present there tonight.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28

2 comments:

Kathi Roach said...

That is beautiful, Kelsey.

Kathi Roach said...

I'm glad I got to see you Friday. Thank you again. It meant a lot to me that you took the time to write and send it. You are a special girl.