Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Living A Not So Ordinary Life...

Every day after school for the past month or so, a bunch of students from my school, including myself have been practicing for our upcoming production starting next week, Ordinary People. The more and more we practice and master characterizations, the more involved and excited I am about the play. As silly as that may sound, I find myself having so much fun being a part of this thing. I really regret not being a part of more plays in the past. But I know there's a great reason that I'm a part of this one. My friendships have deepened and I love it so much. Tonight after running through the show completely, most of the cast and crew stayed to watch the screen play (movie) of Ordinary People. Although I've come to realize the great impact of the play in and of itself, I became a lot more involved when I watched the movie. It was really powerful. I felt like I was the only one moved by it though. I get so involved and I often put myself in the place of that character feeling as if they were feeling. This all seems so silly, especially with having such a small part in the play myself, however there's something different about this play than I've ever seen or been a part of before. It's very realistic, hence the title. Just like ordinary people in the world. I guess I was just thinking about it, and relating it to my life. Conrad's (the main character) brother tragically dies in the story, and although his relationship with his mom is shallow and it is difficult to deal with his feelings, he makes it through...he realizes that there's more and that he's going to be okay.

I know I'm already past that point in my life...I know that thing's will be okay, but I've also realized on a different level that I'm not always going to be strong, and that's okay. Not everyone is always going to understand me either, and that's okay too. I was called to live a not so ordinary life, but a life that demands an explanation, and that's what I'm trying to do. It's really exciting making new and deeper friendships. And I love seeing the "irony" of the play and my life and how a lot of it seems to relate on some level. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I was just thinking and figured I'd write it out on here instead of in my journal. I haven't talked stuff out with someone in a while, and sometimes it helps to know someone is hearing me out, even if it is as indirect as this. Thanks for reading this, if you have.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm reading, Kelsey. And, I'm looking forward to the play. It's good to hear that you are enjoying being a part of it. I'm glad to know that you, an ordinary person filled with God's extraordinary love, are there shining with the love of Christ for all the others involved in the production.

Jason Fullen said...

Hey Kelse!

I just wanted you to know that your words are not only encouraging, they are inspiring. I know we pick around a lot, but in all seriousness, I couldn't be more proud of who you are and who you are becoming. Your desire to impact and influence people around you is such a joy to see. May God continue to draw you close to Him as you continue to journey with Him and engage culture with a purpose-filled, God-centered life.

I admire your faith.